If you haven't been down to Movers & Shapers for a while you may be pleasantly suprised the next time that you visit. Over the last few months we have been busy refurbishing and redecorating the studios. We are super excited at how they have turned out.
Changing up the spaces has allowed us to bring in new equipment that will really add something extra to our classes.
And that's not all......
To go with our gleaming new spaces, we have been working hard on some brand new class formats that are unique to Movers & Shapers whilst retaining the old favourites that we know our clients love.
The team are busy finalising their expertise in the new formats and our New Timetable will be unveiled on 4th June.
Watch this spacce for further details - who knows, there may even be one or two even more exciting announcements around the corner.
With so much nutritional information and misinformation out there, it’s sometimes difficult to know what the best approach to weight loss is regarding food and eating. But if there’s only one thing that all the experts agree on, it’s the benefits of being more active in our daily lives.
More and more of us lead sedentary lives, spending many hours a day simply sitting – whether it’s in our car, behind a desk, on the sofa watching TV, reading a book, or online shopping – very little of our daily routine involves raising our heart rate, using our muscles and burning off fat. Even though we’re generally busy and exhausted, the truth is that only 1 in 20 people are actually doing the right kind of activity their body needs each week.
Here are my top 5 lifestyle tips for helping to shed weight faster and forever:
1. Be more active – formal exercise isn’t for everyone, so why not take up an active hobby such as walking, dancing, cycling, swimming, bowling or gardening. Join a group so that you can meet like-minded individuals who will help to make being more active more fun. Or recruit your own family members or friends so that you can all keep fit together.
2. Combine resistance training with cardio – if you are one of those people who enjoys going to the gym, then try combining cardio and resistance training. This can be done by following each set of resistance exercise with a short burst of cardio for example with the following: 15 squats with leg curls followed by 60 seconds on the treadmill or cross-trainer, repeat 4-5 times.
In a study that compared groups doing different types of training, the combination group not only burned fat and built muscle at the same time, but the amount of fat they burned was a ten-fold increase over the amount burned by the groups that did cardio or resistance training only.
3. High intensity interval training (HIIT) – if weight training isn’t for you, one of the best ways to create a high post-exercise metabolic rate and calorie burning is via the high cardio efforts of a HIIT routine. HIIT in when you warm up, and then you do an intense burst of cardio followed by a full recovery period. This can be done on a bicycle, treadmill, cross-trainer or any other cardio machine, and could involve the following timings:
- 30 seconds flat out, 2 minutes easy, repeat 8 times
- 1 m inute flat out, 4 minutes easy, repeat 4 times
- 2 minutes flat out, 1 minute easy, repeat 5 times
4. Good fats to help you lose fat – researchers in Australia found that people to take omega-3 fish oil and exercise moderately lose more weight than people who exercise, but don’t use fish oil. The theory is that fish oil improves blood flow to muscles, which increases the benefits of exercise. With fish oil and 45 minutes of exercise three times a week, the body burned more fat than people who just did the exercise.
5. Get more good quality sleep – an easy way of enhancing your exercise routine and really maximising weight loss is to simply get more sleep. It’s all down to the hormones leptin and ghrelin. Leptin helps to regulate you energy levels and keep your appetite low, while ghrelin stimulates hunger and often initiates the need to eat. The results of a study conducted at the University of Wisconsin found that participants who got more sleep had reduced ghrelin and increased leptin levels, which helped to control their appetites throughout the day.
Delivered by Sam Cornell, our Nutrition Ambassador who is a registered nutrition practitioner and certified Nutri Advanced Weight Loss practitioner.
This programme is not a calorie controlled diet; instead it looks to reinstate a healthy relationship with food by eliminating common foods that may hinder fat/weight loss while focussing on the right kinds of foods. It also involves reflecting on what are your eating motives and the role sleep, exercise and rest play in controlling weight.
A number of conditions can affect your weight including metabolic issues and adrenal imbalances and Sam will work with you to identify if there are any specific issues that may be affecting your ability to burn fat and/or lose weight.
What does the Programme Involve?
The programme uses a targeted food plan which has scientific research behind the dietary recommendations, and recommendations for lifestyle changes including exercise. The food plan gives you the opportunity to include ingredients you may not normally use while experimenting with new recipes.
It also uses a specific supplement regime that runs alongside the targeted food plan. This is entirely optional but does increase the efficacy of the programme ensuring greater results than the food and lifestyle plan alone.
The programme focuses on fat loss for healthy body composition to ensure that your ratio of fat to muscle is optimal. Muscle tissue burns calories so having a high amount of muscle tissue raises our metabolism and enables us to consume more calories without gaining weight, and lowers our risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, diseases associated with hormone imbalance, joint pain, low energy and poor body image.
Results (using the supplement programme, targeted food plan and lifestyle recommendations) from a group programme run in 2014:
- 100% of participants lost weight
- Average weight loss in 30 days was 3.3kg (7.2lb) (largest weight loss = 7.2kg)
- Average reduction in BMI = 1.17kg/m2
- 100% of participants lost centimetres off their waist – the average being 6cm (largest = 15cm)
How does the Programme Work?
Introduction to the programme – 1 hour group session:
- Food list – foods you can eat
- Sample menu plan, recipes and food diary
- Supplement protocol option explained
- Individuals decide whether to include supplement protocol in their programme
Day 1 – date TBC
- The group agree a date for the programme to start
- The closed Facebook group ‘goes live’ for online group community support
Days 10 and Day 20 – 1 hour group session
- Check-in group clinic sessions to review progress and suggest adjustments
- Not a ‘weigh in’ – your weight challenge is your personal journey towards better health and you do not need to share any data with the group – unless you wish to!
- Individuals may request an additional 10 minute private check-in via Skype to discuss any confidential or personal challenges
Day 30 programme wrap-up – 1 hour group session
- Discuss maintenance programme for continuing your weight loss journey once the programme has concluded
What does the Programme Cost?
30 Day Weight Challenge
All group sessions, Facebook group support, food lists, recipes etc. £110
Supplement Programme (optional and in addition to the above) £183.61 - £198.87
How do I sign up?
Email Sam on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 07870 273559 to register your interest for the next course.